So you are looking to optimize your experience playing Arma 3?
Here are my computer specs that I have been using to play Arma 3. Video settings are hugely important to impacting your multiplayer game play. I know my video card is not the best, but I’ve been able to pull off 33-35 FPS on the showcase inventory without optimizations.
- Intel i5 2500K – processor
- Nvidia Geforce GTX560 – video card
- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 memory (ram)
- 128GB Samsung 830 SSD – hard drive
My Arma 3 Video Settings
- First and foremost, I have Arma 3 ALPHA installed on my SSD. This will decrease load times substantially and is a huge performance increase over a standard mechanical drive.
- Display Mode: Fullscreen window
- Visibility “Overall:” 1600
- Visibility “Object:” 1300
- Visibility “Shadow:” 80
- Vsync: Disabled (this will limit your FPS to your monitor’s refresh rate, just disable)
- HDR Quality: Standard
- Anisotropic Filtering: Ultra
- Antialiasing: 2x (these settings will make a huge impact on FPS, set higher if you have a better card
- PPAA: SMAA Ultra (my card is optimized for SMAA)
- Postprocesses “Quality:” Disabled
- PIP: Standard
- Dynamic Lights: Standard
- Everything on the “Quality” page is set to: Standard
A few notes about these settings. My card is not the current generation “peak” performance card. Cards like the GTX 670-690 and the Radeon HD 7950-7970 will perform much better.
Have a better card? Bump up the values I put in bold.
Have a worse card? Tweak down the values I put in bold.
Tips to Decrease Load Times
- -nosplash -noPause (this will disable the Arma 3 intros)
- -world=empty (loads an empty world on startup)
Tips to Increase Performance of the arma3.exe Process
- -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=8 (this will force using all 4 cpu and 8 threads, if you have hyper threading and quad-core CPU)
- -maxmem=8192 -maxvram=1024 (make sure you set this based on your memory and virtual memory settings)
Put these commands in your Arma 3 launch shortcut. For example, your command line can look like this:
D:\Applications\Arma 3\arma3.exe -nosplash -noPause -world=empty -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=8 -maxmem=8192 -maxvram=2048
With all these parameters added, I got around 10 additional FPS and it looks pretty good!